[Clayart] Wide range clay

sumi sumi at herwheel.com
Sat Jan 22 01:59:51 UTC 2022

Vanessa

I think you'll find we are pretty united on this question - there is no
such thing as a clay that is mature throughout that range. Food safe is
a wishy washy term, though. It's safe to put food on a pot that isn't
vitrified, simply being porous won't poison you. But it might not be
safe to use it in the microwave - once it has absorbed water due to its
porous nature, it will get excessively hot in the microwave. And it
might not be safe to leave, say, an unvitrified teapot full of tea on a
nice piece of furniture - it will leak and ruin the furniture. And it
won't be as durable. The glaze will craze, perhaps not immediately, but
eventually as it absorbs moisture. There is definitely debate about
whether a crazed glaze will harbor unsafe levels of bacteria, but crazed
glaze will weaken the ware. Personally, I think if you wash it in the
dishwasher, the bacteria is not an issue.

What absorption rate is acceptable can't be answered definitively - I'd
say 2-3% at cone 6, other people insist on less than 1%. And plenty of
traditional functional ware is earthenware, which is never vitrified, so
you can't even say that unvitrified clay is not "safe" - it's just used
differently.

Sumi