[Clayart] Wide range clay

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Sat Jan 22 16:27:20 UTC 2022

> On Jan 21, 2022, at 9:39 AM, Vanessa Greene <bequiet at att.net> wrote:
> Any thoughts from all you experienced potters about those clays that are marketed as a wide ranging temp clay, cone 6-10…..are they really fully vitrified at cone 6?

I have never seen or heard of one which even approaches being vitrified at ^6. I don’t know why they even mention that cone. Any clay can be under-vitrified by choice, and sometimes there are valid reasons to do so. However, marketing it this way has led meany schools and art centers with undertrained staff to believe that is must have similar properties throughout the full range specified. It does not.  I would set a ballpark ‘functional vitrification' level at around 2% absorption, but testing is the proof, for any clay body.

-Snail