[Clayart] Clayart Digest, Vol 74, Issue 48

vpitelka at dtccom.net vpitelka at dtccom.net
Sat Jan 22 23:44:15 UTC 2022

Snail wrote:
"I have a Shimpo/Nidec, which I bought for the double roller system, (which I believe makes a more even stretch and no need to flip the slam to equalize)."

Hi Snail -
You are one of the members of this list who almost always posts accurate information, but I was surprised by the above.  Flipping is not the issue.  Unidirectional grain structure is the issue.  As you no doubt know, when woodworkers are preparing green wood (fresh from a live tree), it shrinks far more across the grain than along the grain. Same is true of slabs. So flipping the slab is not the issue.  Cross rolling the slab is essential to eliminate the linear grain structure and cause the slab to shrink equally in all directions in drying and firing.

At the Appalachian Center for Craft, I had students occasionally try to cut corners by using slabs straight from our Brent slab roller without cross-rolling the slabs.  Those students would build a stiff-slab box, and everything would be fine initially, but then in drying or firing the box would rip itself apart as the slabs shrunk in different directions.  This ain't rocket science once you understand the shape and behavior of clay platelets. There are good handouts on my website that explain all of it.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Potter, Writer, Teacher
Chapel Hill, NC