[Clayart] Wide range clay

ronroy at ca.inter.net ronroy at ca.inter.net
Sun Jan 23 17:20:41 UTC 2022

I only boil for 2 hours as recommended by Rhodes. I did notice steam
on the scale dish and realized many years ago that water was leaving
the bars while they are hot - so not good for accuracy. Since then I
cool the bars in water before weighing.

Whatever number you get is only useful if you actually test the clay
to see if it's leaking. My experience over 50 years of testing
hundreds (maybe thousands)
of clay bodies - there is no magic number - every clay will deliver
it's own result, and that result can change for every batch simply
because the raw materials we use vary.

RR

Quoting paul gerhold <gerholdclay at gmail.com>:

>  Not sure exactly what information this procedure provides but
> pretty sure it isn't absorption!
>
> Weigh on gram scale and subsequently Boil a bisqued slab bar in
> water for four hours.  Then high fire to intended cone. (not to a
> set temp) use a cone as true "Heatwork" Baseline. Weigh again and do
> the math for percentage of absorption.
>
> Paul
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Jan 22, 2022, at 11:56 AM, David Woof <woofpots at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Weigh on gram scale and subsequently Boil a bisqued slab bar in
>> water for four hours.  Then high fire to intended cone. (not to a
>> set temp) use a cone as true "Heatwork" Baseline. Weigh again and
>> do the math for percentage of absorption.

Ron Roy
ronroy at ca.inter.net
Web page ronroy.net