[Clayart] Vertical pugmills

David Hendley farmpots at eastex.net
Mon Jan 24 04:35:09 UTC 2022

I have also seen photos of vertical pugmills, usually old and English.
You're right, it seems like it might be a good idea.
The issue might be how to load the clay to be pugged. The shaft must be
supported
with a bearing between the motor drive and the barrel, so there would be
a big shaft right in the middle of where you would want to load the
clay. Plus,
because of the shaft, there would be no way to add a tamper to push the clay
into the chamber. Gravity might make the tamper not as important?
With a hand extruder, the "shaft" can be moved out of the way to load
the barrel,
and then re-inserted into the barrel to push the clay through.

David Hendley
david at farmots.com
www.farmpots.com