[Clayart] Great Pottery throw down/ mending big lamp base w/ glaze

Carolyn Curran cncpots2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 21:56:55 UTC 2022

Enjoyed cup of tea today with segment of Great Pottery Throw Down and was
intrigued by one potter's use of :gooey, thick glaze. (or so she said) to
repair very badly broken bisqued  lamp base.  They showed the lamp after it
had gone through the glaze fire, and pieces looked to have held together.
It wss like an archaeologist gluing an ancient amphora together in the
workshop,  only  using glaze as a glue for a whole bunch of shards and then
actually firing it with repairs.     Discussion, please.   The show has to
be staged to a certain extent,  esp.  the last minute panicking with a 10
second deadline and   other dramatic moments...but do you think this glaze
used as glue was really something. the potter came up with herself or r was
there a bit of coaching. or artistic license in the script?

I have used clay mixed withi paper to fix cracks. bute never for broken
shards,  have never used bisquefix and  don't know much about that.   I
don't think I would ever try plain old glaze to attempt to repair a pile of
shards.

Great Pottery Throw Down:   I found out it was on HBOmax and thought. I
would subscribe for a couple of months. to get the Throw Down.  Fun to
watch while unable to fire in  my communal studio at present.   Covid
restrictions easing here but slowly.    Cheers, all.  Carolyn Curran

PS. A lot of kiln accidents on the show...I wonder if they time the drying
of big pots too quickly to make for more dramatic show....If I  were  the
pro in charge of firing,  I would preheat the hell out of the   kiln load.