[Clayart] top 20 list

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 05:40:24 UTC 2022

If you're going to include Rie, you've obviously got to include Hans Coper
(and all his "sculptures" were vessels)!

Michael Cardew (if you're ever going to talk about English slipware he's
the man).
Svend Bayer
Richard Batterham
Colin Peason (iconic winged pots. Very much more sculptural tha his
contemporaries)
Although all of these English potters were influenced fairly directly by
Bernard Leach none of them made Asian influenced pots.
I would say that you should look hard at including western potters that
skewed away from the Mackenzie/Leach/Hamada/Yanagi Asian influenced school
which honestly is boringly prevalent in modern American functional ceramics.
Look at the Scandinavians. Gertrud Vasegaard (classic Danish Modernism, but
handmade), Gutte Eriksen; Inger Rokkjaer.
Factory made, but still important, Gropius (and others in the Bauhaus
movement) designed quite a lot of tableware. If anything it's important to
show how easy it is to remove all "clayness" from ceramics. And yet it is
aesthetically pleasing. It is worthwhile emphasising how good, affordable
factory ceramics is important in allowing everyone, no matter how poor, to
use nice pots.
Don't forget the Koreans. Current potters who are amazing:
Shin Gyung Kyun who was the first Asian potter to have an exhibition at the
UN. (Joseon style white porcelain, but not slavish copies).
Lee Kang-Hyo (there's a very interesting film by Goldmark Gallery on him
that really explores his philosophy and techniques (based on Onggi pots
with slipped decoration) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayDjp4yvF3o.
Seo-Kwang-Soo
One Japanese potter who is fairly innovative for the restricted environment
is Miwa Kyūsetsu XI who developed Oni-Hagi ware.