[Clayart] Great Pottery throw down/ mending big lamp base w/ glaze

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Fri Jan 28 18:35:36 UTC 2022

> On Jan 27, 2022, at 3:56 PM, Carolyn Curran <cncpots2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ...do you think this glaze
> used as glue was really something. the potter came up with herself or r was
> there a bit of coaching. or artistic license in the script?

No idea about coaching…but I think that if it were allowed, we’d see a lot fewer dumb decisions on the show!

Glaze can work as a glue, but it works best when gravity is holding two separate things together, such as attaching an element on top of a fragile base which would not reliably support it until after bisque. It also helps when the parts fit well, since glaze reduces its volume as it consolidates during melt. I have seen and made attempts to fill cracks with glaze. You can get decent penetration by dampening the bisque first, so the glaze will feed deeper into the crack, and if you build up a ‘reservoir’ of extra glaze above it, some of it will wick down into the crack as it melts during firing, but it is never seamless afterward.

-Snail