[Clayart] Great Pottery throw down/ mending big lamp base w/ glaze

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 00:45:29 UTC 2022

Best fix I have tried is to take concentrated sodium silicate and mix with
calcined kaolin until it's a thick batter (you can thin it a little for
reattaching pieces of bisque. Fix any holes you have with this and heat
gently with a hair dryer or heat gun on low. Allow to dry thoroughly
(preferably several hours or overnight). Wash out excess sodium ions with
vinegar or other dilute acid and allow to dry. Then blast it with a blow
torch (heat gently to start). It will occasionally spit and you'll have to
sand down a bit and reapply. I have filled relatively large holes from
squeezing too hard with tongs using this method. I have also fixed rims. As
Snail said, gravity is fairly important, but as long as it's not very load
bearing you can use this method. It will NOT fix S-cracks however, as those
keep expanding.