[Clayart] Death by kiln?

vpitelka at dtccom.net vpitelka at dtccom.net
Thu May 12 19:19:59 UTC 2022

Many years ago, my friend Mike Selfridge was teaching ceramics at the community college in Crescent City, California, just south of the Oregon border.  He had just built a new sprung arch kiln.  Mike had been a welder/fabricator in the sawmills, so he built things sturdy.  They had just loaded the kiln, and Mike had shown his students how to light it.  One of them volunteered to light the kiln later on for an overnight preheat.  At the appointed time, the student turned on the gas, and then realized that she (it could as easily have been a man) didn't have a twist of newspaper and went in search of some newspaper.  She came back a few minutes later, lit the twist of newspaper, poked it in a burner hole, and KABOOM!.  This was a cross-draft kiln, and thus the student was on the side of the kiln, protected by the sturdy steel frame.  It blew her over backwards, knocked the wind out of her, and singed her a bit, but she was not otherwise injured.  The door blew out and the arch rose up in the air and collapsed, destroying the wares and the shelves.  Mike built another one.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Potter, Writer, Teacher
Chapel Hill, NC