[Clayart] terra cotta tableware

William Schran wschran at twc.com
Fri Sep 16 13:27:42 UTC 2022

I believe with traditional earthenware tableware the clay is bisque
fired hotter than the glaze firing to strengthen the clay, then a low
fire glaze formulated to fit the clay is applied to the entire piece
and each piece is fired on stilts at somewhat lower firing
temperature. With this type ware one can feel the stilt marks on the
foot/bottom of the pot.
Another way was raw firing, applying a low fire glaze, overall the
pot, on greenware and firing once to melt the glaze and strengthen the
clay.

William Schranwschran at twc.com703-505-1617