[Clayart] ZEER POTS easy directions to make your own

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 19 08:39:44 UTC 2023

​***Copied and pasted from the website: "A practical Zeer pot (evaporative cooler) non electrical refrigeration"
"A zeer pot is an evaporative cooler used in rural Africa and the Middle East to keep vegetables fresh. They consist of two terra cotta pots, one nested inside the other, with the gap between them filled with wet sand. The sand serves as a thermal mass that helps keep the pot cold once it has cooled down, and acts as a wick to spread the moisture up the walls of the pot. When placed in a shaded, breezy location, the evaporation of water off the outer surface chills the pot. If you have a good breeze, or a fan powered by a solar panel blowing the pot, the pot can get quite cold................"
​
Woof comments: A simple to employ ancient technology still used in many parts of the world including the North American South West where Indigenous Peoples and early invading Anglos alike hung low fired clay jars in breezy shade for cooling drinking water.

I summer heat the black wool robes and clothing worn by some folks wicks away body perspiration to cool the wearer by the resulting evaporation.
For this reason I wore fine black Merino long sleeve dress shirts on paddle and portage camping trips into Canada (don't tell the Canucks) when paddling out from Ely Mn. during the Hot Hot summer months, or hiking the canyons in Arizona..

Misneach,
David Woof.......................Now My Muse will start stealing my black Merino shirts and canoe.......The little Vixen won't get far or fast because I just hid the paddles.............but now I had better sleep with one eye open don't ya think?............................................................................................................................