[Clayart] Who is Hanson, Boston MA, 1970s?

Eric Martz martzeric at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 22:10:48 UTC 2023

Can anyone tell me the first name of a male ceramic artist named Hanson
who worked in the Boston MA area in the 1970s?

In the 1970s, we bought a large ceramic sculpture from a man I remember
as "Hanson". It is a mirror, surrounded by a "dreamscape" (my term) that
includes a human face, a fox(?) face, an alligator, elephant, frog,
human toes, human ear, a covered bridge, and many other things. It hangs
on a wall. It is 36" high, 20" wide, and weighs 36 lb. See it here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8707702@N08/albums/72177720305541712/with/52650853421/

I have not found a signature. Googling, I found this large tureen
offered by a dealer on Etsy, signed "Hanson '72". It is clearly the same
artist.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1323190349/art-pottery-tureen-huge-1972-signed

It confirms that our mirror sculpture is by Hanson. First name? Any
other information?

Thanks very much, Eric Martz (son of Karl Martz, http://martzpots.org)