Best fix I have tried is to take concentrated sodium silicate and mix with calcined kaolin until it's a thick batter (you can thin it a little for reattaching pieces of bisque. Fix any holes you have with this and heat gently with a hair dryer or heat gun on low. Allow to dry thoroughly (preferably several hours or overnight). Wash out excess sodium ions with vinegar or other dilute acid and allow to dry. Then blast it with a blow torch (heat gently to start). It will occasionally spit and you'll have to sand down a bit and reapply. I have filled relatively large holes from squeezing too hard with tongs using this method. I have also fixed rims. As Snail said, gravity is fairly important, but as long as it's not very load bearing you can use this method. It will NOT fix S-cracks however, as those keep expanding.

On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 at 12:50, Snail Scott <claywork@flying-snail.com> wrote:


> On Jan 27, 2022, at 3:56 PM, Carolyn Curran <cncpots2@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...A lot of kiln accidents on the show...I wonder if they time the drying
> of big pots too quickly to make for more dramatic show....If I  were  the
> pro in charge of firing,  I would preheat the hell out of the   kiln load…


I cannot imagine they think it is more appealing this way. None of that stuff should have blown up with an adequate candling phase, even if it were still damp when loaded. We also see a great many cracks induced by too-rapid drying.  I am sure there are time constraints for filming, but an extra four or so hours of candling would have prevented nearly all the steam explosions we have seen.

-Snail